Roel Konijnendijk has published his second monograph, on the intellectual climate in Germany in the late 19th and early 20th century and how that influenced the writing of ancient military history. Its from Brill, so its priced for libraries not individuals (if you can’t borrow a copy or have your library buy one, email him for other options!) I think a research history like this would play to his strengths. Just remember that there was also research in French and Russian before and after serious ancient history started to be written in English!
- Konijnendijk, Roel (2022) Between Miltiades and Moltke: Early German Studies in Greek Military History (Brill: Leiden) vi + 118 pages https://brill.com/display/title/64402
Blogger Bret Devereaux of A Collection of Unmitigated Pedantry is slowly getting publications through the academic publishing system between his teaching, blogging, social media, articles for policy magazines, and podcast appearances (solidarity fact: one of my articles which passed peer review for a conference proceedings in summer 2013 has still not appeared, and one thing which was accepted by the first academic venue in 2018 was printed by someone else in 2022!) They are not open access but if you have library access check them out!
- Devereaux, Bret C. (2020) “Strategy and Cost: Carthaginian Naval Strategy in the First Punic War Reappraised.” Historia, Volume 69, Issue 4 (December 2020) pp. 459-481 https://doi.org/10.25162/historia-2020-0020
- Devereaux, Bret C. (2022) “The Adoption and Impact of Roman Mail Armor in the Third and Second Centuries BCE.” Chiron, Band 52 pp. 135-166 https://www.degruyter.com/document/doi/10.1515/9783110796841/html#contents
Richard Taylor has published his second book on Iron Age Greek warfare. I reviewed the first book, on the Macedonian phalanx, and plan to review the second. Like all of Pen & Sword’s books it is reasonably priced and well produced physically.
- Taylor, Richard (2021) The Greek Hoplite Phalanx: The Iconic Heavy Infantry of Classical Greece (Pen & Sword Military: Barnsley, Yorkshire)
Edit 2023-03-24: also
- Joshua R. Hall, Louis Rawlings, and Geoff Lee (eds.), Unit Cohesion and Warfare in the Ancient World: Military and Social Approaches (Routledge, 2023)
- Konijnendijk, Roel / Echeverría, Fernando (2023) “Max Weber, the Rise of the Polis, and the ‘Hoplite Revolution’ Theory,” Journal of the History of Ideas, Volume 84, Number 1, January 2023 pp. 103-125 https://doi.org/10.1353/jhi.2023.0004
(scheduled 27 December 2022, updated 6 February 2023)