Over on closed social media, someone asked for books published between 2005 and 2020 which readers of Ancient Warfare Magazine should know about. I thought the list was too interesting to get lost on closed social media, so I copied it here, deleting the things which were published too early and the ones which summoned pushback and ones which cost more than about $150.
A question mark ? notes books which I have not flipped through (or been recommended to me by someone I know and respect), and an obelus † marks books which I could not recommend without warnings.
- Armstrong, Jeremy “Early Roman Warfare: From the Regal Period to the First Punic War” (2016) / “War and Society in Early Rome: from Warlords to Generals” (2016: the ‘full scholarly apparatus’ version) ?
- Bishop and Coulston, “Roman Military Equipment” (2006, 2nd ed.)
- Brouwers, Josho (2013) Henchmen of Ares: Warriors and Warfare in Early Greece (Karwansaray Publishers: Rotterdam)
- Chaniotis, Angelos (2005) War in the Hellenistic World: A Social and Cultural History (Blackwell: Walden, MA)
- Clark, Jessica H. “Triumph in Defeat: Military Loss and the Roman Republic” (2014)
- Cole, Myke “Legion versus Phalanx” ?
- D’Amato, Raffaele / Sumner, Graham “Arms and Armour of the Imperial Roman Soldier: From Marius to Commodus, 112 BC–AD 192” †
- Darnell, John / Manassa, Colleen (2007) Tutankhamun’s Armies: Battle and Conquest During Ancient Egypt’s Late Eighteenth Dynasty (Wiley: Malden, MA)
- Eckstein, “Mediterranean Anarchy, Interstate War, and the Rise of Rome” ?
- Erdkamp, Paul (ed.) “A Companion to the Roman Army” (2007) ?
- Fischer “Army of the Roman Emperors” ?
- Fischer-Bovet, Christelle “Army and Society in Ptolemaic Egypt” (2014)
- Guédon, Stéphanie “La Frontiere romaine de l’Africa sous le Haute Empire” (2018) http://books.openedition.org/cvz/6597 ?
- Hanson, Victor Davis “A War like No Other” †
- Haynes, Ian “Blood of the Provinces: The Roman Auxilia and the Making of Provincial Society from Augustus to the Severans” (2013)
- Halsall, Guy (2007) “Barbarian Migrations and the Roman West, 376–568” ?
- Heather, Peter “Empires and Barbarians” ?
- James, Simon “Rome and the Sword” (2011) ?
- Karunanithy, D. “The Macedonian War Machine” (Pen & Sword 2013)
- Konijnendijik, Roel “Classical Greek Tactics: A Cultural History” (2018)
- Lee, A. Doug “War in Late Antiquity” (2007)
- Lee, John “A Greek Army on the March” (2007)
- Lendon, J.E. “Soldiers and Ghosts” (Yale 2005)
- Matthew, Christopher “An Invincible Beast: Understanding the Hellenistic Pike Phalanx in Action” (2016) ?
- McNab, Chris (ed.) “The Roman Army: The Greatest War Machine of the Ancient World” (2012) ?
- Murray, William M. “The Age of Titans: The Rise and Fall of the Great Hellenistic Navies” (2012)
- De Souza, Philip (ed.) (2008) The Ancient World at War. A Global History (Thames & Hudson: London)
- Rawlings, L. “The Ancient Greeks at War” (2007)
- Rusch, Scott M. “Sparta at War: Strategy, Tactics and Campaigns, 950-362 BC.” (2011) ?
- Ruzicka, S. “Trouble in the West: Egypt and the Persian Empire” (2012)
- Sabin, Philip “Lost Battles: Reconstructing the Great Clashes of the Ancient World” (2007)
- Sim and Kaminski, “Roman Imperial Armour: The Production of Early Imperial Military Armour” (2012) †
- Spalinger, Anthony J. (2005) War in Ancient Egypt: The New Kingdom (Wiley-Blackwell: Malden, MA)
- Tritle, Lawrence A. “A New History of the Peloponesian War” (2009)
- Waterfield, Robin “Dividing the Spoils: The War for Alexander the Great’s Empire” (2011) ?
- Wittke, Anne-Maria / Olshausen, Eckart / Szydlak, Richard (2012) Historischer Atlas der Antiken Welt (J. B. Metzler: Stuttgart-Weimar)
What books would my gentle readers add to the list?
Edit 2022-08-02: fixed link broken when WordPress introduced the block editor